Saturday, March 21, 2009

Airbrushing A Backdrop (Post 3)

Here are two more portraits that I finished on Thursday.


As I continue to airbrush, my goal for Friday was for 3 more portraits to be completed. My goal was met.


The material I am airbrushing on is a shark tooth scrim. It has an open weave. As I mentioned in my first post on this project, the scrim is a theatrical backdrop material. When lit from the front, the image painted on it, is seen. When the scrim is lit from behind, it goes transparent and the action behind is seen. I’ll have pictures in April, when the show opens.

How I airbrushed these so quickly, is shown here as a step by step process.
Step 1 - I used an overhead projector.
Step 2 – outline my image
Step 3 – color in my image

At first I was a bit hesitant on how I can airbrush this material and how the colors would lay. I found that the scrim, seemed to be forgiving. No mater how I sprayed, the colors held and no matter how much or how little detail I painted, the painting came alive.


No comments:

Post a Comment