Friday, January 2, 2009

New Art New Show


I am a member of the Women’s Caucus for Art, Florida Chapter (WCAFL) and coming up on January 15, 2009 is WCA juried show at the Metro Gallery. This is one of the galleries showing on Third Thursday.

The piece I am working on can viewed and bought as one or can be viewed and bought as eight. I am not only a fine artist, but is also a set designer and scenic painter. So with this new painting, I have incorporated my theatrical side. If I want to create brick walls onto my set, I have two options, painting the bricks on the flat surface or creating a more realistic look. With the realistic look, I use a Styrofoam, in which I burn the grout lines. I do this using an old fashioned charcoal burner. When I do this for a theatrical production, I usually use the cheaper white Styrofoam sheets. But, for my art, I am using the heavier blue or pink insulation foam. To make the foam stronger after I have burned my lines, I then glue and paint muslin onto it. That will give me a canvas like surface to paint on. The background and base of my painting is done i
n acrylics. Then the main finished painting is done in oils. I find the oil paint has a more brilliant look to it.

This painting is simply called “Bricked Landscape”. Each of the eight sections is numbered. You can say this is sort of a puzzle piece. And the full size is 8 foot wide by 4 foot high and each section is a two by two section.







No comments:

Post a Comment